Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Back From Boise and Painting


Well, I'm back from Boise and thought I'd take this painting a bit further so I went down to The Cave and got more serious about the animal by blocking in some darks and lights relative to the neutral ground of the body. Colors I like to use are Van Gogh brown (dark) and Yellow Ochre (light) with tints of Burnt Sienna. I'm mostly an earth color guy. Also sketched in some trees to the right to give the background a little depth. I think some wildlife artists paint the eyes first but that seems to spoil it for me. I'd rather focus on the landscape and the animal for awhile and save the eyes for a treat toward the end. Besides, I don't want them staring at me throughout the painting process. I was hoping this would turn out well because it's the first time I've ever shown a painting in progress and can you imagine painting poorly in front of everyone?

No comments: