Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Sketch Of The Cougar


Over the course of doing a painting I thought I'd show you some of the steps so I went down to The Cave this morning and did a quick sketch of the cougar I'm thinking of painting. I didn't use to do this enough and ended up with animals that didn't look right. Also, doing a sketch sort of develops a "memory" of the animal and shows me what my bad tendencies are going to be. For example I have a tendency to make my cougar's heads too large in proportion to the body. Drawing also helps initially determine where some of the darks and lights will be. It doesn't have to be a great drawing, just good enough to get started. Took about 20 minutes with just a regular #2 pencil and a piece of paper. You'll never know if you can draw unless you try.

No comments: