Sunday, November 18, 2007

Starting The Painting


Before Peg and I go down to Boise tomorrow morning to take care of mom (92) I decided to get the cougar painting started. First I'm using a 16x20 masonite panel that is gessoed with a medium umber tone (white and dark umber). Then, hopefully, I did a better sketch of the animal. Don't know why I have a hard time with this particular animal but I do. It's made a bit more difficult because there is a small amount of "foreshortening", a fancy artist word for the front of the object is more towards you than the back. Then I mixed up some hooker's green and payne's gray to block in the background. Very important if you are using acrylic to go light around the animal's profile or you will get ridges that are difficult to deal with when you paint the animal. Using oils is not so much a problem. Then with a touch of the green mixed above with more liberal amounts of raw sienna and unbleached titanium I sketched in the ground. You might note that I started leading the foreground toward you to create the illusion of depth and the tension of the animal coming forward. Right now I'm thinking a good title is "The Stalk" but who knows. Got any ideas?

No comments: